Thursday, August 23, 2012

Book 2 Update 4

Book 2 is about 30% written now, the hope is to have it fully edited and published by December. I have been going through on my not-so-good writing days and editing what I have so that should save me some days of banging my head on the wall at the end. Trust me, when you re-read your own stuff more than a couple times, the wall is the only comfort you will receive.

Trying some new stuff with book 2. With the first book I had a couple chapters that were nothing but back story. The idea is that you can read those chapters and get a better feel for the characters and the world they live in, or you can skip them and not effect the main plot whatsoever.

With this one, as there is very little back story, needed or otherwise, I decided to play with the narrative style. One idea comes in the form of a new character. I won't get into the details of the character, but what I'm doing is utilizing a 3rd person perspective with her portions of the book. Since the rest of the book is being told from a first person view (mostly Thomas) that should give her a distinct feel.

Lastly (for now), I'm also trying to incorporate some film techniques to the writing style - mostly during the action sequences. I don't know how well this will turn out and it may get taken out long before publication, but for now it's up in the air.

2 comments:

  1. Nicholas, this line won me over for life:
    Trust me, when you re-read your own stuff more than a couple times, the wall is the only comfort you will receive.
    I love it :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol thanks. It's a hazard of this work that I gladly accept. Hopefully, the longer I keep with the writing, the less I'll have to go back and fix and the less I'll have to bandage my head wounds.

    ReplyDelete